Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Introduce group locking to prevent parallel processes from deadl

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Introduce group locking to prevent parallel processes from deadl
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 7:55 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 5:26 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Also, after fixing that it would be good to add a comment explaining why
>>> it's not fundamentally unsafe for BecomeLockGroupMember() to examine
>>> leader->pgprocno without having any relevant lock.  AFAICS, that's only
>>> okay because the pgprocno fields are never changed after InitProcGlobal,
>>> even when a PGPROC is recycled.
>
>> I am sort of disinclined to think that this needs a comment.
>
> I might not either, except that the entire point of that piece of code is
> to protect against the possibility that the leader PGPROC vanishes before
> we can get this lock.  Since you've got extensive comments addressing that
> point, it seems appropriate to explain why this one line doesn't invalidate
> the whole design ... because it's right on the hairy edge of doing so.
> If we did something like memset a PGPROC to all zeroes when we free it,
> which in general would seem like a perfectly reasonable thing to do, this
> code would be broken (and not in an easy to detect way; it would indeed
> be indistinguishable from the way in which it's broken right now).

OK.  Well, I'm happy to have you add a comment in a patch of your own,
or suggest something to include in mine.  I'm less sure I can write
something independently that you'll like.

>> Do we
>> really have a comment every other place that pgprocno is referenced
>> without a lock?
>
> I suspect strongly that there is no other place that attempts to touch any
> part of an invalid (freed) PGPROC.  If there is, more than likely it's
> unsafe.
>
> I don't have time right now to read the patch in detail, but will look
> tomorrow.  In the meantime, thanks for addressing my concerns.

Sure thing.  I appreciate the review.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company