Re: Remove or weaken hints about "effective resolution of sleep delays is 10 ms"?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Remove or weaken hints about "effective resolution of sleep delays is 10 ms"?
Дата
Re: Remove or weaken hints about "effective resolution of sleep delays is 10 ms"?  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Several places in our docs have blurbs like
>> Note that on many systems, the effective resolution of sleep delays is
>> 10 milliseconds; setting <varname>wal_writer_delay</> to a value that
>> is not a multiple of 10 might have the same results as setting it to
>> the next higher multiple of 10.
> Afaik that's not the case on any recent operating system/hardware. So
> perhaps we should just remove all of those blurbs, or just replace them
> with something like "on some older systems the effective resolution of
> sleep delays is limited to multiples of 10 milliseconds"?

Hmm, is that true?  What we do we think the resolution is on modern
systems?  I would not have guessed that to be inaccurate.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company