Re: Parallel Seq Scan

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Parallel Seq Scan
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 4:46 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>> With 0 workers, first run took 883465.352 ms, and second run took 295050.106 ms.
>> With 8 workers, first run took 340302.250 ms, and second run took 307767.758 ms.
>>
>> This is a confusing result, because you expect parallelism to help
>> more when the relation is partly cached, and make little or no
>> difference when it isn't cached.  But that's not what happened.
>
> These numbers seem to indicate that the oddball is the single-threaded
> uncached run.  If I followed correctly, the uncached 'dd' took 321s,
> which is relatively close to the uncached-lots-of-workers and the two
> cached runs.  What in the world is the uncached single-thread case doing
> that it takes an extra 543s, or over twice as long?  It's clearly not
> disk i/o which is causing the slowdown, based on your dd tests.

Yeah, I'm wondering if the disk just froze up on that run for a long
while, which has been known to occasionally happen on this machine,
because I can't reproduce that crappy number.  I did the 0-worker test
a few more times, with the block-by-block method, dropping the caches
and restarting PostgreSQL each time, and got:

322222.968 ms
322873.325 ms
322967.722 ms
321759.273 ms

After that last run, I ran it a few more times without restarting
PostgreSQL or dropping the caches, and got:

257629.348 ms
289668.976 ms
290342.970 ms
258035.226 ms
284237.729 ms

Then I redid the 8-client test.  Cold cache, I got 337312.554 ms.  On
the rerun, 323423.813 ms.  Third run, 324940.785.

There is more variability than I would like here.  Clearly, it goes a
bit faster when the cache is warm, but that's about all I can say with
any confidence.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company