Re: bgworker crashed or not?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: bgworker crashed or not?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2014-04-16 11:54:25 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>>
>> > I dislike that because it essentially requires the bgworker to have a
>> > full error catching environment like PostgresMain() has. That seems
>> > bad for many cases.
>>
>> That sounds like utter nonsense.  No sane bgwriter code is going to be
>> able to discount the possibility of something throwing an elog(ERROR).
>> Now, you might not need the ability to do a transaction abort, but
>> you'll have to at least be able to terminate the process cleanly.
>
> Why? Throwing an error without an exception stack seems to work
> sensibly? The error is promoted to FATAL and the normal FATAL handling
> is performed? C.f. pg_re_throw() called via errfinish() in the ERRROR
> case.

And... so what's the problem?  You seemed to be saying that the
background worker would need to a more developed error-handling
environment in order to do proper logging, but here you're saying
(rightly, I believe) that it doesn't.  Even if it did, though, I think
the right solution is to install one, not make it the postmaster's job
to try to read the tea leaves in the worker's exit code.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company