Re: Commitfest 2021-11 Patch Triage - Part 2

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Commitfest 2021-11 Patch Triage - Part 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 9:12 AM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> 2773: libpq compression
> =======================
> This patch intended to provide libpq connection compression to "replace SSL
> compression" which was doomed when the patch was written, and have since been
> removed altogether.  The initial approach didn't get much traction but there
> was significant discussion and work, which has since fizzled out.  The patch
> has been updated but there hasn't been meaningful review the past months, the
> last comments seem to imply there being a fair amount of questionmarks left in
> here.  Robert, having been very involved in this do you have any thoughts on
> where we are and where to go (if at all IYO)?

It's been a while since I looked at that patch, and my recollections
are somewhat fuzzy. However, I think that my main feeling was that the
quality of the patch didn't seem to be that close to what I felt would
be required for a commit. I think at that point there were still
significant questions about the details of the approach as well as
code-quality and performance concerns. It may have gotten better since
last I looked.

I do agree with the comments from others that there is room to debate
(1) the usefulness of this and (2) the degree to which it might leave
us on the hook for security problems that wouldn't be our
responsibility if we left this up to OpenSSL (or maybe some other SSL
library, if we ever get pluggability there, which I hope we do). But
my concerns were more pragmatic than theoretical.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com