Re: suggest to rename enable_incrementalsort

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: suggest to rename enable_incrementalsort
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 11:22 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> I think the big problem is that, without the extra underscore, it reads
> as increment-alsort.  ;-)

I know you're joking, but I think there's a serious issue here. We
often both omit word separators and also abbreviate, and I doubt that
the meaning is always obvious to people whose first language is
Japanese or Russian or something. The only human language other than
English in which I have any competence at all is Spanish, and if
somebody speaks Spanish to me the way that it's explained in a
textbook, I can understand it fairly well, especially if we're talking
about the kinds of topics that textbooks discuss rather than technical
stuff. But as soon as you start to use abbreviations or idioms, you're
going to lose me. Without a doubt, the best solution to this problem
would be for me to have better Spanish, but in the absence of that, on
those occasions when I need to communicate in Spanish, I sure do like
it when people are willing and able to make that as easy for me as
they can. I suspect other people have similar experiences.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company