Re: Merging postgresql.conf and postgresql.auto.conf

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Merging postgresql.conf and postgresql.auto.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 1:32 AM, David Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
> to make the whole thing work.  Maybe it does all fit directly on pg_settings
> but tacking on some read-only columns to this updateable view/table doesn't
> come across as something that should be forbidden in general.

No, of course not.  But they should be things that are of general
utility (we agree that most people will want them) and they should be
orthogonal to what we already have (not just a duplication of
something that's present elsewhere).

> Maybe I am imagining a use-case that just isn't there but if there are two
> separate queries needed, and we call one "consolidated", then having that
> query indicate whether the other query has useful information, and it is
> quite likely that it will not, avoids the user expending the effort to run
> the wasteful secondary query.

Well, we shouldn't assume that everyone uses the same queries, or
issues them in the same order, so I think this is pretty speculative.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company