Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 7:36 AM Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com> wrote:
> Removed this note from the documentation and added a note saying: "The
> user needs to ensure that they do not operate pg_force_freeze function
> on a deleted tuple because it may revive the deleted tuple."

I do not agree with that note, either. I believe that trying to tell
people what things specifically they should do or avoid doing with the
tool is the wrong approach. Instead, the thrust of the message should
be to tell people that if you use this, it may corrupt your database,
and that's your problem. The difficulty with telling people what
specifically they ought to avoid doing is that experts will be annoyed
to be told that something is not safe when they know that it is fine,
and non-experts will think that some uses are safer than they really
are.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company