Re: Useless "Replica Identity: NOTHING" noise from psql \d

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Useless "Replica Identity: NOTHING" noise from psql \d
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 7:25 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2013-12-14 17:43:36 +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
>> On 2013-12-14 11:27:53 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> > In HEAD:
>> >
>> > regression=# \d pg_depend
>> >    Table "pg_catalog.pg_depend"
>> >    Column    |  Type   | Modifiers
>> > -------------+---------+-----------
>> >  classid     | oid     | not null
>> >  objid       | oid     | not null
>> >  objsubid    | integer | not null
>> >  refclassid  | oid     | not null
>> >  refobjid    | oid     | not null
>> >  refobjsubid | integer | not null
>> >  deptype     | "char"  | not null
>> >     "pg_depend_depender_index" btree (classid, objid, objsubid)
>> >     "pg_depend_reference_index" btree (refclassid, refobjid, refobjsubid)
>> > Replica Identity: NOTHING
>> >
>> > Where did that last line come from, and who thinks it's so important
>> > that it should appear by default?  It seems absolutely content-free
>> > even if I were using whatever feature it refers to, since it is
>> > (I presume) the default state.
>>
>> Hm. Yes, that's slightly inellegant. It's shown because it's not
>> actually the normal default normal tables. Just for system tables. Maybe
>> we should just set it to default (in pg_class) for system tables as
>> well, and just change it in the relcache.
>
> Hm. I don't like that choice much after thinking for a bit. Seems to
> make querying the catalog unneccessarily complex.
> How about making it conditional on the table's namespace instead? That
> will do the wrong thing if somebody moves a table to pg_catalog and
> configures a replica identity, but I think we can live with that, given
> how many other things work strangely around that.
>
> Patch attached.

I vote for showing it only with +, but regardless of whether the value
matches the expected default.  I'd keep the relkind test, though,
because I think I noticed that it currently shows up for indexes,
which is dumb.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company