Re: soliciting patches to review

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: soliciting patches to review
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 23, 2024 at 1:39 PM Melanie Plageman
<melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since you are going to share the patches anyway at the workshop, do
> you mind giving an example of a patch that is a good fit for the
> workshop? Alternatively, you could provide a hypothetical example. I,
> of course, have patches that I'd like reviewed. But, I'm unconvinced
> any of them would be particularly interesting in a workshop.

Andres and I haven't discussed our selection criteria yet, but my
feeling is that we're going to want patches that are somewhat
medium-sized. If your patch makes PostgreSQL capable of
faster-than-light travel, it's probably too big to be reviewed
meaningfully in the time we will have. If your patch changes corrects
a bunch of typos, it probably lacks enough substance to be worth
discussing. I hesitate to propose more specific parameters. On the one
hand, a patch that changes something user-visible that someone could
reasonably like or dislike is probably easier to review, in some
sense, than a patch that refactors code or tries to improve
performance. However, talking about how to review patches where it's
less obvious what you should be trying to evaluate might be an
important part of the workshop, so my feeling is that I would prefer
it if more people would volunteer and then let Andres and I sort
through what we think makes sense to include.

I would also be happy to have people "blanket submit" without naming
patches i.e. if anyone wants to email and say "hey, feel free to
include any of my stuff if you want" that is great. Our concern was
that we didn't want to look like we were picking on anyone who wasn't
up for it. I'm happy to keep getting emails from people with specific
patches they want reviewed -- if we can hit a patch that someone wants
reviewed that is better for everyone than if we just pick randomly --
but my number one concern is not offending anyone.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: Direct SSL connection with ALPN and HBA rules
Сообщение: Re: Direct SSL connection with ALPN and HBA rules