Re: [HACKERS] Compiler warnings

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Compiler warnings
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
> Shouldn't this be back-patched? The plancache warning goes back through
> 9.2 (at least) and the lwlocks warning through 9.5 (or maybe it was 9.4).

Warnings are going to be different for each individual developer, but
I am cautiously in favor making more of an effort to fix back-branch
warnings provided that it doesn't generate too much code churn.  For
example, if your toolchain generates only these two warnings on 9.2
then, sure, let's back-port these two fixes; making things
warning-clean is great.  But if there are dozens or hundreds of
warnings currently, fixing only a handful of those warnings probably
isn't valuable, and fixing all of them is probably a little more risk
than we necessarily want to take.  Someone could goof and make a bug.
On my MacBook Pro with my toolchain, we're warning-clean back to 9.3
or 9.4, and before that there are some problems -- most annoyingly the
fact that 73b416b2e41237b657d29d8f42a4bb34bf700928 couldn't be easily
backported to older branches.  I don't think it would be crazy to try
to get all of the warnings I see fixed up and it would be convenient
for me, but I haven't been willing to do the work, either.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company