Re: RFC: Additional Directory for Extensions

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: RFC: Additional Directory for Extensions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 6:12 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> Now, I'm not saying that this is an easy journey.  But if we don't
> start, we're not going to get there.

I actually kind of agree with you. I think I've said something similar
in a previous email to the list somewhere. But I don't agree that this
patch should be burdened with taking the first step. We seem to often
find reasons why patches that packagers for prominent distributions
are carrying shouldn't be put into core, and I think that's a bad
habit. They're not going to stop applying those packages because we
refuse to put suitable functionality in core; we're just creating a
situation where lots of people are running slightly patched versions
of PostgreSQL instead of straight-up PostgreSQL. That's not improving
anything. If we want to work on making the sorts of changes that
you're proposing, let's do it on a separate thread. It's not going to
be meaningfully harder to move in that direction after some patch like
this than it is today.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com