Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers
Дата
Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:37 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Here, we can see that there is a gain of ~15% to ~38% at higher client
>> count.
>>
>> The attached document (perf_write_clogcontrollock_data_v6.ods) contains
>> data, mainly focussing on single client performance.  The data is for
>> multiple runs on different machines, so I thought it is better to present in
>> form of document rather than dumping everything in e-mail.  Do let me know
>> if there is any confusion in understanding/interpreting the data.
>
> Forgot to mention that all these tests have been done by reverting
> commit-ac1d794.

OK, that seems better.  But I have a question: if we don't really need
to make this optimization apply only when everything is on the same
page, then why even try?  If we didn't try, we wouldn't need the
all_trans_same_page flag, which would reduce the amount of code
change.  Would that hurt anything? Taking it even further, we could
remove the check from TransactionGroupUpdateXidStatus too.  I'd be
curious to know whether that set of changes would improve performance
or regress it.  Or maybe it does nothing, in which case perhaps
simpler is better.

All things being equal, it's probably better if the cases where
transactions from different pages get into the list together is
something that is more or less expected rather than a
once-in-a-blue-moon scenario - that way, if any bugs exist, we'll find
them.  The downside of that is that we could increase latency for the
leader that way - doing other work on the same page shouldn't hurt
much but different pages is a bigger hit.  But that hit might be
trivial enough not to be worth worrying about.

+       /*
+        * Now that we've released the lock, go back and wake everybody up.  We
+        * don't do this under the lock so as to keep lock hold times to a
+        * minimum.  The system calls we need to perform to wake other processes
+        * up are probably much slower than the simple memory writes
we did while
+        * holding the lock.

This comment was true in the place that you cut-and-pasted it from,
but it's not true here, since we potentially need to read from disk.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company