Re: Request to be allotted a project or a feature in pipeline

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Request to be allotted a project or a feature in pipeline
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 6:12 AM Utsav Parmar <utsavp0213@gmail.com> wrote:
> As it may turn out, I've got a college project in my curriculum this semester under “Software Development Practice”,
andI'd like to work upon a project and/or a feature in pipeline spanning over 3 months in PostgreSQL organization as a
partof the same college project. My mentor cum professor has already agreed for the same, given that I get approval
fromone of the maintainers. So, if possible, will you please allot me something to work upon?

It doesn't really work like that. We don't assign tasks to people;
people show up and work on topics that they find interesting. It's
very difficult to do actual task assignments because we all work for
different companies, and somebody at company A cannot tell somebody at
company B what to spend time on. Sometimes people are willing to help
newcomers with suggested projects and mentoring, but that's fairly
time-consuming for the mentor, so to a large extent we rely on people
to find their own projects.

This is maybe not great. It would be cool if the PostgreSQL community
had the resources to pay experienced developers just to mentor new
developers. It's not clear how to me how that could be made to work,
though.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Windows port minor fixes
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: allow_system_table_mods and DROP RULE