Re: Inconsistency in libpq connection parameters, and extension thereof

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Inconsistency in libpq connection parameters, and extension thereof
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Daniel Farina <daniel@heroku.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>> However, not throwing errors on the URL syntax should be considered a
>>> bug, I think.
>>
>> +1.
>
> +1
>
> Here's a patch that just makes the thing an error.  Of course we could
> revert it if it makes the URI feature otherwise unusable...but I don't
> see a huge and terrible blocker ATM.  A major question mark for me any
> extra stuff in JDBC URLs.

It looks like the answer is "yes".

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/head/connect.html#connection-parameters

...but I'm inclined to think we should make this change anyway.  If
JDBC used libpq, then it might be nice to let JDBC parse out bits of
the URL and then pass the whole thing, unmodified, through to libpq,
without having libpq spit up.  But it doesn't.  And even if someone
were inclined to try to do something of that type, the warnings we're
omitting now would presumably discourage them.

Thoughts?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company