Re: Zedstore - compressed in-core columnar storage

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Zedstore - compressed in-core columnar storage
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 12:22 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> It's not clear to me whether you're arguing for not having any such
> implementation in core, or having multiple ones? I think we should aim
> to have at least one in-core implementation, even if it's not the best
> possible one for all sizes. It's not like our rowstore is the best
> possible implementation for all cases either.

I'm mostly arguing that it's too early to decide anything at this
point.  I'm definitely not opposed to having a column store in core.

> I think having a colstore in core is important not just for adoption,
> but also for testing and development of the executor / planner bits.
>
> If we have multiple candidates with sufficient code quality, then we may
> consider including both. I don't think it's very likely to happen in the
> same release, considering how much work it will require. And I have no
> idea if zedstore or VOPS are / will be the only candidates - it's way
> too early at this point.
>
> FWIW I personally plan to focus primarily on the features that aim to
> be included in core, and that applies to colstores too.

I agree with all of that.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: Zedstore - compressed in-core columnar storage
Сообщение: Re: Zedstore - compressed in-core columnar storage