Re: Zedstore - compressed in-core columnar storage

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Zedstore - compressed in-core columnar storage
Дата
Re: Zedstore - compressed in-core columnar storage  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 09, 2019 at 02:29:09PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 11:51 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> This is not surprising, considering that columnar store is precisely the
>> reason for starting the work on table AMs.
>>
>> We should certainly look into integrating some sort of columnar storage
>> in mainline.  Not sure which of zedstore or VOPS is the best candidate,
>> or maybe we'll have some other proposal.  My feeling is that having more
>> than one is not useful; if there are optimizations to one that can be
>> borrowed from the other, let's do that instead of duplicating effort.
>
>I think that conclusion may be premature.  There seem to be a bunch of
>different ways of doing columnar storage, so I don't know how we can
>be sure that one size will fit all, or that the first thing we accept
>will be the best thing.
>
>Of course, we probably do not want to accept a ton of storage manager
>implementations is core.  I think if people propose implementations
>that are poor quality, or missing important features, or don't have
>significantly different use cases from the ones we've already got,
>it's reasonable to reject those.  But I wouldn't be prepared to say
>that if we have two significantly different column store that are both
>awesome code with a complete feature set and significantly disjoint
>use cases, we should reject the second one just because it is also a
>column store.  I think that won't get out of control because few
>people will be able to produce really high-quality implementations.
>
>This stuff is hard, which I think is also why we only have 6.5 index
>AMs in core after many, many years.  And our standards have gone up
>over the years - not all of those would pass muster if they were
>proposed today.

It's not clear to me whether you're arguing for not having any such
implementation in core, or having multiple ones? I think we should aim
to have at least one in-core implementation, even if it's not the best
possible one for all sizes. It's not like our rowstore is the best
possible implementation for all cases either.

I think having a colstore in core is important not just for adoption,
but also for testing and development of the executor / planner bits.

If we have multiple candidates with sufficient code quality, then we may
consider including both. I don't think it's very likely to happen in the
same release, considering how much work it will require. And I have no
idea if zedstore or VOPS are / will be the only candidates - it's way
too early at this point.

FWIW I personally plan to focus primarily on the features that aim to
be included in core, and that applies to colstores too.

regards