Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use a bitmask to represent role attributes

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use a bitmask to represent role attributes
Дата
Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use a bitmask to represent role attributes  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20141016133218.GW28859@tamriel.snowman.net#20141016133218.GW28859@tamriel.snowman.net

> Breaking clients was considered acceptable, which is why some of these
> functions were introduced.  There were some differing opinions; Simon
> for instance suggested the use of an array rather than a bitmask, but
> that would have broken clients all the same.
>
> If there's strong opposition to this whole line of development, I can
> revert.  Anyone else wants to give an opinion?

I would have preferred (and I believe argued for) keeping the existing
catalog representation for existing attributes and using a bitmask for
new ones, to avoid breaking client code.  But I am not sure if that's
actually the best decision.  I find Tom's concern about needing more
than 64 attributes to be ill-founded; I can't really see that
happening on any timescale that matters.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company