Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use a bitmask to represent role attributes

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use a bitmask to represent role attributes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Again, I suppose I should have objected earlier, but I really seriously
>> doubt that this is a good idea.

> Ugh.  I thought we had a consensus that this was the accepted way
> forward; that's my reading of the old thread,

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20141016133218.GW28859@tamriel.snowman.net#20141016133218.GW28859@tamriel.snowman.net

I was aware that we were thinking of introducing a bunch more role
attributes, but I'm wondering what's the rationale for assuming that
(a) they'll all be booleans, and (b) there will never, ever, be more
than 64 of them.  The argument that lots of boolean columns won't
scale nicely doesn't seem to lead to the conclusion that a fixed-size
bitmap is better.

I'd have gone with just adding more bool columns as needed.

Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use a bitmask to represent role attributes
Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use a bitmask to represent role attributes