Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 11:31 PM, Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I don't think I've suggested not committing any of the clog patches (or
> other patches in general) because shifting the contention somewhere else
> might cause regressions. At the end of the last CF I've however stated that
> we need to better understand the impact on various wokloads, and I think
> Amit agreed with that conclusion.
>
> We have that understanding now, I believe - also thanks to your idea of
> sampling wait events data.
>
> You're right we can't fix all the contention points in one patch, and that
> shifting the contention may cause regressions. But we should at least
> understand what workloads might be impacted, how serious the regressions may
> get etc. Which is why all the testing was done.

OK.

> Sure, I understand that. My main worry was that people will get worse
> performance with the next major version that what they get now (assuming we
> don't manage to address the other contention points). Which is difficult to
> explain to users & customers, no matter how reasonable it seems to us.
>
> The difference is that both the fast-path locks and msgNumLock went into
> 9.2, so that end users probably never saw that regression. But we don't know
> if that happens for clog and WAL.
>
> Perhaps you have a working patch addressing the WAL contention, so that we
> could see how that changes the results?

I don't think we do, yet.  Amit or Kuntal might know more.  At some
level I think we're just hitting the limits of the hardware's ability
to lay bytes on a platter, and fine-tuning the locking may not help
much.

> I might be wrong, but I doubt the kernel guys are running particularly wide
> set of tests, so how likely is it they will notice issues with specific
> workloads? Wouldn't it be great if we could tell them there's a bug and
> provide a workload that reproduces it?
>
> I don't see how "it's a Linux issue" makes it someone else's problem. The
> kernel guys can't really test everything (and are not obliged to). It's up
> to us to do more testing in this area, and report issues to the kernel guys
> (which is not happening as much as it should).

I don't exactly disagree with any of that.  I just want to find a
course of action that we can agree on and move forward.  This has been
cooking for a long time, and I want to converge on some resolution.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company