Re: Feature improvement: can we add queryId for pg_catalog.pg_stat_activityview?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Feature improvement: can we add queryId for pg_catalog.pg_stat_activityview?
Дата
Re: Feature improvement: can we add queryId for pg_catalog.pg_stat_activityview?  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 1:24 PM Jim Finnerty <jfinnert@amazon.com> wrote:
> The queryId depends on oids, so it is not stable enough for some purposes.
> For example, to create a SQL identifier that survives across a server
> upgrade, or that can be shipped to another database, the queryId isn't
> usable.
>
> The apg_plan_mgmt extensions keeps both its own stable SQL identifier as
> well as the queryId, so it can be used to join to pg_stat_statements if
> desired.  If we were to standardize on one SQL identifier, it should be
> stable enough to survive a major version upgrade or to be the same in
> different databases.

If Amazon would like to open-source its (AIUI) proprietary technology
for computing query IDs and propose it for inclusion in PostgreSQL,
cool, but I think that is a separate question from whether people
would like more convenient access to the query ID technology that we
have today.  I think it's 100% clear that they would like that, even
as things stand, and therefore it does not make sense to block that
behind Amazon deciding to share what it already has or somebody else
trying to reimplement it.

If we need to have a space for both a core-standard query ID and
another query ID that is available for extension use, adding one more
field to struct Query, so we can have both coreQueryId and
extensionQueryId or whatever, would be easy to do.  It appears that
there's more use case than I would have guessed for custom query IDs.
On the other hand, it also appears that a lot of people would be very,
very happy to just be able to see the query ID field that already
exists, both in pg_stat_statements in pg_stat_activity, and we
shouldn't throw up unnecessary impediments in the way of making that
happen, at least IMHO.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company