Re: pluggable compression support

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: pluggable compression support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Hannu Krosing <hannu@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> You suddently need to solve the question of how the identifiers for
>> compression formats are allocated and preserved across pg_upgrade and
>> across machines.
> This is something similar we already need to do for any non-builtin type
> OID.

That's true, but that code has already been written.  And it's not
trivial.  The code involved is CREATE/ALTER/DROP TYPE plus all the
corresponding pg_dump mechanism.  To do what you're proposing here,
we'd need CREATE/ALTER/DROP COMPRESSION METHOD, and associated pg_dump
--binary-upgrade support.  I think Andres is entirely right to be
skeptical about that.  It will make this project about 4 times as hard
for almost no benefit.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company