Re: pluggable compression support

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: pluggable compression support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

See http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130607143053.GJ29964@alap2.anarazel.de

>> But those identifiers should be *small* (since they are added to all
>> Datums)
> if there will be any alignment at all between the datums, then
> one byte will be lost in the noise ("remember: nobody will need
> more than 256 compression algorithms")
> OTOH, if you plan to put these format markers in the compressed
> stream and change the compression algorithm while reading it, I am lost.

The above-linked email addresses this point as well: there are bits
available in the toast pointer.  But there aren't MANY bits without
increasing the storage footprint, so trying to do something that's
more general than we really need is going to cost us in terms of
on-disk footprint.  Is that really worth it?  And if so, why?  I don't
find the idea of a trade-off between compression/decompression speed
and compression ratio to be very exciting.  As Andres says, bzip2 is
impractically slow for ... almost everything.  If there's a good
BSD-licensed algorithm available, let's just use it and be done.  Our
current algorithm has lasted us a very long time; I see no reason to
think we'll want to change this again for another 10 years, and by
that time, we may have redesigned the storage format altogether,
making the limited extensibility of our current TOAST pointer format
moot.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company