Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation
Дата
Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 4:25 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> Another thing that seems worth thinking about is a system-level GUC,
> and an option in the VACUUM command to control if truncation should
> happen or not.  We have a lot of infrastructure to control such
> options between vacuum and autovacuum, so it could be a waste to not
> consider potential synergies.

I don't think that a VACUUM option would be out of place, but a GUC
sounds like an attractive nuisance to me.  It will encourage people to
just flip it blindly instead of considering the particular cases where
they need that behavior, and I think chances are good that most people
who do that will end up being sad.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company