Re: Question regarding Sync message and unnamed portal

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Question regarding Sync message and unnamed portal
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 02:02:39PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:

>> > I looked into this.  The text reads:
>> >
>> >         If successfully created, a named prepared-statement object lasts till
>> >         the end of the current session, unless explicitly destroyed.  An unnamed
>> >         prepared statement lasts only until the next Parse statement specifying
>> >         the unnamed statement as destination is issued.
>> >
>> > While the first statement does say "named", the next sentence says
>> > "unnamed", so I am not sure we can make this any clearer.
>>
>> I'm not sure what this has to do with the previous topic.  Aren't a
>> prepared statement and a portal two different things?
>
> Oops, thanks.  Here is the right paragraph, same issue:
>
>     If successfully created, a named portal object lasts till the end of the
>     current transaction, unless explicitly destroyed.  An unnamed portal is
>     destroyed at the end of the transaction, or as soon as the next Bind
>     statement specifying the unnamed portal as destination is issued.  (Note

OK.  Well, that seems clear enough.  I'm not sure what it has to do
with the original complaint, though, because I don't quite understand
the original complaint, which seems to involve not only when portals
are destroyed but also what effect Sync messages have.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company