Re: [pgAdmin4][RM2927] Move all CSS into SCSS files for consistency and ease of colour maintenance etc.

От Dave Page
Тема Re: [pgAdmin4][RM2927] Move all CSS into SCSS files for consistency and ease of colour maintenance etc.
Дата
Ответ на Re: [pgAdmin4][RM2927] Move all CSS into SCSS files for consistency and ease of colour maintenance etc.  (Aditya Toshniwal <aditya.toshniwal@enterprisedb.com>)
Ответы Re: [pgAdmin4][RM2927] Move all CSS into SCSS files for consistency and ease of colour maintenance etc.  (Aditya Toshniwal <aditya.toshniwal@enterprisedb.com>)
Список pgadmin-hackers
Hi

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 6:14 AM, Aditya Toshniwal <aditya.toshniwal@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi Dave,

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 9:31 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
One more thought - can you please look at updating the style guide on the website to be consistent? https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgadmin-www.git;a=summary
Yes. Will start working on this.

Thanks.

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 1:17 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 6:41 PM, Aditya Toshniwal <aditya.toshniwal@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi Hackers,

Attached is the updated patch fixing the errors. I missed the linter in webpack.config.js :(

That's better - thanks.

A few thoughts:

- The button bars now have the flat style, however disabled buttons are almost indistinguishable from enabled ones. If we're going to have a flatter style, then we need to make the foreground colour of the buttons much lighter when they're disabled.
I guess they are distinguishable :/ (below screenshots). Plus you will get a disabled mouse pointer on button hover (after I send the updated patch). If we need to change the colors of the button then we need to override bootstrap variables and compile the less files.

I mean the button bar on the Query Tool or Debugger (though I only looked at the former).

BTW, you should grab the Sim Daltonism app from the app store on your Mac. It shows you what the colours would look like to people with different types of colour-blindness. It's very useful.

- I'm not keen on using $color-white/$color-black. That pre-supposes what the colours are, in which case we might as well just hard-code the values. How about $color-foreground/$color-background?
foreground/background is a good idea. It will be helpful in theming if we want a dark theme. All need to use these variables in places where no backgroud/foreground color is set in CSS classes. Will work on this.

- One thing we may want to do in the future is to have the option for alternate themes (or at least just a dark one). Do you know (no need to do it now - I'm just asking) if we've got enough of the colours in _default_variables.scss (and overridden elsewhere) to be able to do that?
I have covered all the hash codes used in pgAdmin4 defined CSS/SCSS files. But, if we want the complete theme then we need to override the external CSS or override the variables and compile the less/sass files (bootstrap). This is part is still not done.

Ack. Personally, I'd love a dark theme. Or even pluggable themes. That would be awesome - but we have more important work first.

I have noticed one more thing, templated CSS. We should remove it. For now I have skipped template css from webpack bundling.

+1
Should this be done as part of this RM, or we need to create a separate one ?

A separate one I think.

Thanks!

--
Dave Page