Re: Question about open source license

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Question about open source license
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hi

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 8:16 PM <markpare@videotron.ca> wrote:

Hi team, I was wondering about your open source license. If I take the source and extend it with some non-PostgreSQL related ideas, am I free to sell that final product? Do I have to make sure that my code is also open source?

I read about the copyleft definition, but wasn’t sure what applied to your license.

Let me know – thanks!

The pgAdmin licence can be found at https://www.pgadmin.org/licence/, and there's an inventory of 3rd party licences that apply shipped with the packages built by the pgAdmin team. You can create that inventory in your own build environment using the script at tools/dependency_inventory.py in the pgAdmin source tree.

None of the developers are lawyers though, so we cannot give you legal advice. You will need to confirm with your own legal advisor whether or not you are able to meet the requirements of all the licences.

That said, the pgAdmin licence is a permissive one, so normally you can modify the code as you see fit, and include it in commercial products without having to distribute the source.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com