Re: Using pgAgent w/o pgAdmin3 on linux

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Using pgAgent w/o pgAdmin3 on linux
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Defiant Challenged
<vrboy2000@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Authors,
>
> I was wondering if this email got through, since no-one replied in 6
> days.....
> I guess if no one knows the answer, then it seems right... but I figure I'd
> ask again.
>
> Is it possible to run pgAgent  without pgAdmin III on a linux machine.

Yes. You'll need pgAdmin to create jobs etc. but that doesn't need to
be on the same box.

> - I loaded the pgadmin catalog in the postgres database of the postgresql
> instance.
>
> My next step would be to run pgAgent as a service, but I have no clue how to
> and if it is at all possible.
> Any help or leads would be very welcome.

http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.12/pgagent-install.html describes how to
start pgAgent as a service. You'll need to create an appropriate init
script for your system to automate it.

> I got to the point where I am trying to run the service pgAgent wirth a
> startup script and installed pgAgent catalog in the postgres database of the
> postgresql instance. When trying to run the service I get:
> Starting PgAgent: pgagent: error while loading shared libraries:
> libssl.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>                                                            [FAILED]

The binary you downloaded is just a generic build from a fairly old
Linux box. You'll either need to find and install that library for
your linux distro, or build from source (which may well still require
that you install the same package).

> I am using a startup script from postgresonline.com:
> http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/86-Yum-addendum-for-8.3.5-and-PgAgent.html
>
> So I dont have a postgresql instance installed as you would do with yum
> install. I dont have pgAdmin installed and can't seem to find it in the
> default repositories: yum list pg* comes out blank. I downloaded and tried
> to install: pgadmin3-1.8.4-1.rhel5.x86_64.rpm
> but it is complaining:
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0()(
>         etc etc

Seems like that package is missing dependencies on wxWidgets. Try
installing wxWidgets 2.8 (it might be called wxGTK).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company