Re: pgagent hangs forever in "r" state

От Dave Page
Тема Re: pgagent hangs forever in "r" state
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hi

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Sanket Mehta
<sanket.mehta@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I have tried to reproduce the same in my system by resetting the pgagent
> sequences to 1.
>
> Below is the results I have came across:
>
>          the job is not getting executed and its current status is "i" (no
> steps found ) although I have specified 2 steps for that job.
>
> Below is the log entry in postgreSQL logs:
>
>          2015-07-20 15:35:14 IST ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique
> constraint "pga_joblog_pkey"
>          2015-07-20 15:35:14 IST DETAIL:  Key (jlgid)=(3) already exists.
>          2015-07-20 15:35:14 IST STATEMENT:  INSERT INTO
> pgagent.pga_joblog(jlgid, jlgjobid, jlgstatus) VALUES (3, 1, 'r')

OK - I'm not sure that's related to the issue in this thread though.

> So my analysis is:
>
>          as sequences are getting reset before the job starts, it tries to
> insert jlgid directly from nextvalue of its sequence which is already
> present in the table. same thing happens for jobsteplog and joblog tables
> also.
>
> Suggestion to resolve the issue:
>
>          get the max value of ID from table before insert query and run the
> sequence till we get the max(ID)+1 and then we execute the insert statement
> with this new value as ID.

We're not doing that - it'll be a performance killer. The user needs
to not muck about with their sequences.

The real questions are:

1) Why doesn't the insert error appear in the pgAgent log?

2) Can you reproduce Josh's issue where the first step in a job runs,
but the second doesn't (without touching the sequences)?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company