Re: pgAdmin 4 commit: Don't quote variable values used by SET. It's usually

От Dave Page
Тема Re: pgAdmin 4 commit: Don't quote variable values used by SET. It's usually
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 2:26 AM, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 1:35 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On 4 Feb 2018, at 18:07, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

Hi Dave,

There is a possibility of SQL Injection (if we don't use qtLiteral.
We need some kind of check for this.

What do you say?

The user is already logged in, and could run the query tool anyway to do anything their privileges allow.
That's always there.

Yes.

Do you see an escalation vector that I’m missing?
I think - user can add any value (with space) for the variable of text type.

So - we need a mechanism to transform the value in a proper manner.

You are missing my point. The user is already logged in and can run any queries their privileges allow. In virtually all cases in pgAdmin, we let the database server validate input (we only ever quote things), because it's often extremely difficult to do (think stored procedures for example).

Can the user *escalate* their privileges through this feature, or does it just give them a somewhat bizarre way of running a query that they could run anyway?

I don't think so, but am I missing something?

-- Thanks,
Ashesh Vashi

I re-added the hackers list for any other opinions.

--

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA: Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi