Re: Re: cannot remove some items from the server list after upgrade from postgres 8.x to 9.x

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Re: cannot remove some items from the server list after upgrade from postgres 8.x to 9.x
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Gary Oberholster
<gary.oberholster@vasco.com> wrote:

> I am having this problem as well when upgrading from 8.3 to 9.2 using the
> dump, uninstall, install and restore procedure.
>
> I have found that whenever you use pgAdmin III, it writes it's current state
> to the registry under HKEY_USERS\...\Softwaare\pgAdmin.

Right.

> This includes the list of Servers and databases at the time pgAdmin III was
> open at.

Yes.

> When you uninstall PostgreSQL, the pgAdmin registry keys are not deleted. So
> when you open it again after the re-install it contains entries for all of
> the old (dead) servers/databases.

Correct. That's entirely as it should be. We don't remove settings
from HKEY_CURRENT_USER during uninstallation because:

1) The user might simply be reinstalling.

2) The user might have a roaming profile and only be uninstalling from
one machine.

What actually should happen is this:

1) PostgreSQL is installed, which adds registry keys to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE describing the server installation.

2) When pgAdmin is run, it detects those keys and creates a server
registration entry for the user in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

3) If PostgreSQL is uninstalled, the keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE are
removed, so the server will not get added for any other users.

4) When the original user re-runs pgAdmin, the server will still be
listed because the PostgreSQL installer cannot remove entries from
HKEY_CURRENT_USER that it didn't create. To remove the uninstalled
server from the tree, the user must select it and hit the drop button.
That'll remove the entries from HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company