Re: cannot remove some items from the server list after upgrade from postgres 8.x to 9.x

От Gary Oberholster
Тема Re: cannot remove some items from the server list after upgrade from postgres 8.x to 9.x
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Dave Page-7 wrote
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Doug Easterbrook <

> doug@

> > wrote:
>> we do.
>>
>> on windows, standard procedure on an upgrade is to:
>> a) dump the database
>> b) go to add/remove programs and remove the old server (it leaves the
>> database 'data' around)
>> c) install the new server
>> d) restore the new database.
>>
>> in all cases, I get 8.4 and 9.0 databases pointing to the same thing.
>>
>> once we are sure the customer is running on the windows machine under
>> 9.0, then we go back and delete 8.3 or 8.4 directory from  the program
>> files/postres directory.
>>
>> I still cannot, at that time, delete the reference from pgadmin
>
> Sounds like the installer isn't removing a reference for some reason.
> What does your registry look like, under
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PostgreSQL (you can export it, using
> regedit)?
>
> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
>
> --

I am having this problem as well when upgrading from 8.3 to 9.2 using the
dump, uninstall, install and restore procedure.

I have found that whenever you use pgAdmin III, it writes it's current state
to the registry under HKEY_USERS\...\Softwaare\pgAdmin.

This includes the list of Servers and databases at the time pgAdmin III was
open at.

When you uninstall PostgreSQL, the pgAdmin registry keys are not deleted. So
when you open it again after the re-install it contains entries for all of
the old (dead) servers/databases.