Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Allow user to Comment/Uncomment code in query editor

От Dave Page
Тема Re: [pgAdmin4][Patch]: Allow user to Comment/Uncomment code in query editor
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 8:57 PM, Shirley Wang <swang@pivotal.io> wrote:
Until we learn definitively from users that the current implementation of commenting/uncommenting in other tools is not working, we should use what is common practice. We can use that as a baseline and then if we learn that there needs to be another shortcut, we can add additional functionality. It's much easier to add something for users than to take away.

There isn't really any common practice as far as I can see. In a 20 minute search I found the following variations (substitute Ctrl for Cmd on non-Mac):

Tools supporting only one comment mode:

XCode: Cmd+/
Visual Studio: Ctrl+K+C Ctrl+K+U
SQL Server Management Studio: Ctrl+K+C Ctrl+K+U
pgAdmin 3: Cmd+K/Cmd+Shift+K
Editra: Cmd+1
Netbeans: Cmd+Shift+C
Eclipse: Cmd+/
Sublime Text: Cmd+/ Cmd+Shift+/
Toad: Ctrl+b Ctrl+Shift+b
MySQL Workbench: Cmd+/

Tools supporting line and block comment modes:

PyCharms (line comment): Cmd+/
PyCharms (block comment): Cmd+Alt+/
Notepad++ (line comment): Ctrl+q
Notepad++ (block comment): Ctrl+Shift+q

I'd say we should go with Cmd+/ and Cmd+Shift+/ as that seems the most common by a small margin - however, I'm still not convinced that we don't need two keys for optimal behaviour of line commenting.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company