Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Remove dialogue "Apply" buttons?

От Dave Page
Тема Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Remove dialogue "Apply" buttons?
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Michal Kozusznik
<kozusznik.michal@ifortuna.cz> wrote:
> On 18.5.2013 15:26, Dave Page wrote:
>>

>> As we have so few of these buttons and they're there primarily to
>> support a working practice that we discourage anyway, I'd like to
>> simply remove them so we can avoid the fragile and messy code changes
>> needed to make them work reliably.
>>
>> I propose to do this both for 1.18.x *and* 1.16.2+
>>
>> Comments/objections please?
>

> Do I understand correctly, you are talking about Apply button available in
> function edit window?
> If yes, how do you suppose to work, editing function content without Apply
> button? Using OK button only? but OK button closes window, so making
> multiple changes needs to reopen this windows again and again. If I'm right,
> then drop editing function content at at all. Seems to be useless then.

The properties dialogues are designed for making quick tweaks to
objects, or the initial creation of them. There is a Guru Hint that is
displayed when you edit a function or view that strongly encourages
users to do "real" editing in the query tool which is much better
suited to developing and debugging queries and code. Different tools
are suited to different types of task.

>> Well, no it's not - that's the point. There is very high risk that
>> fixing the bugs will cause even more things to break, and frankly I'm
>> not prepared to spend any more time fixing them. My beermat
>> calculation tells me we've already spent at least 2 man-weeks in this
>> cycle alone, trying to fix issues caused by these buttons.
>

> I'm aghast about the source code quality. Fixing Apply buttons took 2
> man-weeks?

No - fixing a number of subtle and complex bugs took 2 weeks. It just
so happens that those bugs are all related to code needed to support
the Apply buttons which we actively discourage people from using
anyway.

> Let's take it half-seriously: maybe it's not bad idea to drop pgadmin
> developement at all ;-) At least consider to rewrite it from screatch.

I've wanted to rewrite it from scratch for 3 or 4 years now - if only
to get rid of wxWidgets which has never really matured as we want -
but rewriting over a quarter of a million lines of code is not exactly
something that I can do single-handedly any more, whilst also spending
time with my family and doing my day job. With only 2 regular
volunteer developers, and a few hours here and there from EDB staff,
there's not a great deal we can do other than fix bugs where we can
and continue to cleanup and simplify the existing code where possible.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company