Re: Impact on PostgreSQL due to Redhat acquisition by IBM

От Sachin Kotwal
Тема Re: Impact on PostgreSQL due to Redhat acquisition by IBM
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Fri 16 Nov, 2018, 3:36 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com wrote:
On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 5:07 AM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
> On 11/15/18 7:59 AM, Sachin Kotwal wrote:
> > I feel community has most of linux based instance in thier buildfarm for
> > testing, might be very few Ubuntu based.
> > I might be wrong here.
>
> Easy enough to see:
>
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_members.pl

Out of curiosity, here are the current counts for HEAD:

Linux distros:
  Amazon Linux: 1
  Arch Linux: 1
  CentOS: 9
  Debian: 34
  Fedora: 5
  Photon: 1
  Raspbian: 2
  RHEL: 8
  SUSE: 7
  Ubuntu: 7

BSD diaspora:
  DragonflyBSD: 1
  FreeBSD: 6
  NetBSD: 2
  OpenBSD: 1

OpenSolaris diapora:
  OmniOS: 1
  SmartOS: 1

Other Unixen:
  AIX: 4
  HP-UX: 3
  macOS: 4

Windows:
  Windows: 6
  Cygwin: 1

I wouldn't be too worried about any of these, especially the open
ones.  Closed Solaris, though, is apparently dead to us.  Nobody cares
enough to build HEAD on it anymore, and for example 3a769d82 (reflink
support for pg_upgrade) went in without consideration of Solaris 11.4
reflink().  I've personally moved to the 'acceptance' phase of grief;
all three Unixes that I cut my teeth on in the 90s are now either
formally dead and buried or in this case, a zombie.

From personal observations, I know that we have developers and
committers doing their primary development work on at least Debian,
Fedora, FreeBSD, macOS, Ubuntu and Windows.

Thanks for detail head count and explanation.
It cleared me and i believe should have clear to all new community member that topic/subject doesn't make any effect on PostgreSQL future.

Regards,
Sachin