Re: postgres source code installation vs rpm based installation

От Pavan Kumar
Тема Re: postgres source code installation vs rpm based installation
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
>>Installing the same binaries multiple times to different locations on the same machine goes against the design of PostgreSQL.
Having multiple installation of same postgres version is not supported by postgres ?
Is it correct statement ?

Thank you..

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 3:59 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 1:50 PM Pavan Kumar <pavan.dba27@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Ron,

> [...]

I am  not Windows DBA.   I have very good experience on Linux and working on postgres.
I installed postgres in both way's rpm based and source code installation.
I prefer source code for below reason
       I will have control on postgres software location
       few parameter I can modify with source code installation (like wal-segsize).
       I can install same version  postgres on multiple times as per our need.

Installing the same binaries multiple times to different locations on the same machine goes against the design of PostgreSQL.

If you need to change things that can only be changed at compile time then your decision has been made.

Otherwise I'd stick with packages as the most well understood installation and upgrade mechanism for your platform.

David J.

--
Regards,

#!  Pavan Kumar
-
Sr. Database Administrator..!

NEXT GENERATION PROFESSIONALS, LLC
Cell    #  267-799-3182 #  pavan.dba27 (Gtalk)
India   # 9000459083

Take Risks; if you win, you will be very happy. If you lose you will be Wise

Сообщение: Re: postgres source code installation vs rpm based installation
Сообщение: Re: postgres source code installation vs rpm based installation