Re: Concrete steps for use of PITR warm backup?

От francis picabia
Тема Re: Concrete steps for use of PITR warm backup?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM, francis picabia <fpicabia@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think my needs are standard for PITR: single master server and single
> backup server, warm, with desire for PITR.
>
> I'm running postgres 8.4.
>
> I've looked at Postgres docs on warm backup, and several blogs
> attempting instructions to help.
>
> Everything I've seen does a good job of documenting the
> initial set up:
>
> - how to backup the postgres instance using rsync to second server
> - how to enable wal archiving with rsync to second server
>
> After that, the instructions are less clear.
>
> I've also checked out barman.  It also is good at describing
> the initial set up, but when it is time to describe PITR
> use, they defer to Postgres docs and training which they sell.
>
> Is there a good guide with examples on how to configure and
> *use* a PITR solution?
>
> I'm having problems with finding examples discussing:
>
> - how to start up backup postgres and incorporate wal files
> - how to maintain the build up of wal files (with explicit example)
> - whether to run (or not run) the backup postgres service
>
> I've made attempts to set up the backup, with failure.  It seems
> we need the WAL files in the pg_xlog directory, but postgres
> refuses to start.  It isn't surprising to me as I had to try
> rather than know.
>
> Postgres documentation is written with too many statements along the
> "If... Then..." format.  When you already know what to do, this
> format is sufficient.  When you are looking for a set of steps,
> even an example scenario, this is insufficient.
>
> I'd think the scenario of single master, single backup, PITR with warm
> recovery from WAL archive, is very typical and what many people
> are looking for.  Can't it be documented clearly with
> a complete set of steps?

I still think the documentation is lacking real life examples, but my
needs have been met by pgbarman.  It is very good, saves developing
a script yourself, and works at 4 AM when your brain is not.  I also
like that barman is so easy that I can go on vacation and anyone
can follow the instructions for recovery.