Re: How do I bump a row to the front of sort efficiently

От Paul Jungwirth
Тема Re: How do I bump a row to the front of sort efficiently
Дата
Re: How do I bump a row to the front of sort efficiently  (Paul Jungwirth <pj@illuminatedcomputing.com>)
Список pgsql-general
>> I imagine your original would be at risk of LIMITing out the very row you
>> seek to get at the "top", since you don't have an ORDER BY to tell it which
>> ones to keep during the outer LIMIT.

Here is an old thread about combining ORDER BY with UNION:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/16814.1280268424@sss.pgh.pa.us

So I think this query would work:

select * from topic
where id = 1000
union all
(select * from topic
where id <> 1000
order by bumped_at desc
limit 29)
order by case when id = 1000 then 0 else 1 end, bumped_at desc
;

> I need to be able to offset and limit the union hack in a view, which
> is proving very tricky.

Since this is sort of a "parameterized view" (which Postgres does not
have) you are probably better off figuring out how to make the UNION
query work with your ORM. What ORM is it? Maybe someone here can help
you with that. Or maybe instead of a view you could write a
set-returning function, e.g. as described here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11401749/pass-in-where-parameters-to-postgresql-view

Paul

--
Pulchritudo splendor veritatis.