Re: improve CREATE EXTENSION error message

От Bossart, Nathan
Тема Re: improve CREATE EXTENSION error message
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11/29/21, 2:32 PM, "Chapman Flack" <chap@anastigmatix.net> wrote:
> If it were me, I would combine that DETAIL and HINT as one larger HINT,
> and use DETAIL for specific details about what actually happened (such
> as the exact filename sought and the %m).
>
> The need for those details doesn't go away; they're still what you need
> when what went wrong is some other freak occurrence the hint doesn't
> explain.

How's this?

        postgres=# CREATE EXTENSION does_not_exist;
        ERROR:  extension "does_not_exist" is not available
        DETAIL:  Extension control file "/usr/local/pgsql/share/extension/does_not_exist.control" does not exist.
        HINT:  The extension must first be installed on the system where PostgreSQL is running.  The
pg_available_extensionsview lists the available extensions.

Nathan