Re: improve CREATE EXTENSION error message

От Chapman Flack
Тема Re: improve CREATE EXTENSION error message
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11/29/21 17:13, Bossart, Nathan wrote:
>         postgres=# CREATE EXTENSION does_not_exist;
>         ERROR:  extension "does_not_exist" is not available
>         DETAIL:  The extension must first be installed on the system where PostgreSQL is running.
>         HINT:  The pg_available_extensions view lists the extensions that are available for installation.

Messages crossed ...

If it were me, I would combine that DETAIL and HINT as one larger HINT,
and use DETAIL for specific details about what actually happened (such
as the exact filename sought and the %m).

The need for those details doesn't go away; they're still what you need
when what went wrong is some other freak occurrence the hint doesn't
explain.

Regards,
-Chap

Сообщение: Re: improve CREATE EXTENSION error message
Сообщение: Re: improve CREATE EXTENSION error message