Re: PostgreSQL web site

От John Hansen
Тема Re: PostgreSQL web site
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Tom Lane Wrote:
>"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
>>> Actually that is a very good question... why are we not using
>>> mod_deflate?
>
>> Good question. It's definitly worth investigating.
>
> What are we talking about here --- some hack to make users' web browsers decompress pages on-the-fly?  How much >
doesthat slow down the browsing experience, if you've got an old slow PC?  (I can believe that if you've got a > fast
PCand a slow internet connection, it could make things faster overall ... but the breakeven point is not
> obvious.)  What are the odds that people using older browsers will be locked out entirely?

Documents are only compressed if the browser requests one, so nobody would get locked out.
And for the odd users with a slow PC, they would probably already have cofigured their browser so it doesn't request
compresseddocuments.

Kind Regards,

John