- Архив списков рассылки pgsql-admin

От John Lister
Тема
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Kevin Grittner" Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov wrote
>"John Lister" <john.lister-ps@kickstone.com> wrote:
> When you do a vacuum it marks the deleted rows as being usable
> again and I can see that it reports that "xxx index row versions
> were removed", however are these rows marked for reuse in an index
> in the same manner as they are in the table? I note that the docs
> say that vacuum full doesn't shrink indexes and that a reindex is
> recommended periodically, is this still true if the table is
> frequently vacuumed?

>VACUUM makes space in indexes available for re-use.  I don't think
>that reindex is normally needed for recent releases, although I seem
>to remember hearing that it was needed in older versions.  What
>version are you running?
Thanks for your reply. I'm using 8.3.8 (ubuntu).

I thought it would do, but couldn't see anything to confirm that and some of my indexes seem to grow disproportionately to the size of the tables, but I haven't studied it in detail yet - I was trying to increase performance on a number of tables that seem to be extremely bloated for some reason.

Thanks

--

Got needs? Get Goblin'! - http://www.pricegoblin.co.uk/

От: "Kevin Grittner"
Сообщение: Re: question about vacuum and index bloat
От: "Kevin Grittner"
Сообщение: Re: