Re: Stale external URL in doc?

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: Stale external URL in doc?
Дата
Re: Stale external URL in doc?  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: Stale external URL in doc?  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 9 Jul 2020, at 17:54, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 3:52 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us <mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>> wrote:
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se <mailto:daniel@yesql.se>> writes:
> > As a short term fix we should either a) remove these links completely or b)
> > link to archived copies of the pages on archive.org <http://archive.org/>; or c) find a more
> > appropriate pages to link to.  A quick search didn't turn up anything I would
> > prefer for (c), and I'm not sure what he legality of linking to a cached copy
> > is, so I would advocate for (a).
>
> +1.  It should have been obvious just from the spelling of this URL that
> it wasn't intended to be a long term stable location.  Digging in the
> git history shows we've already updated it twice, and I wonder how many
> changes there were that we didn't notice.
>
> Just reverting bbd3bdba3 seems appropriate to me.
>
> +1.
>
> If we want to keep a set of such links, probably the wiki is a better place as more people can easily fix them there.

Taking a look at other links to external resources, most links seemed to
resolve still (but I didn't test all of them).  I did find another one on the
GEQO page which is now dead without the content available elsewhere, as well as
a larger problem with the AIX references.

We have a list of links to the AIX 6.1 documentation which no longer works as
IBM only provides docset PDFs for 6.1.  Looking that 7.x documentation they
have reorganized enough to make the older links not directly translatable.  I
do wonder if updating this list is worth the effort, or if it will only lead to
us revisiting this once IBM does another site change.

The attached suggestion removes the reported SSL links, the FAQ linked to on
GEQO and all the IBM links, fully realizing that it might be controversial to
some extent.

cheers ./daniel

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: min_safe_lsn column in pg_replication_slots view
Сообщение: Re: min_safe_lsn column in pg_replication_slots view