Re: duplicate key violated errors

От Marc Mamin
Тема Re: duplicate key violated errors
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello,

I experienced a similar issue with 8.2.x having a duplicate value in a
primary key !
In our case it definitively happened as the plates got out of space, so
I did put the fault on us, not on Postgres :-)

regards,

Marc Mamin

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of dinesh
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2009 10:14 PM
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: [ADMIN] duplicate key violated errors

Hi All:

I have a table, which has over 3 million rows. We have both a unique
constraint ( which creates implicit index) as well as a regular unique
index on the same column. We had to put the unique constraint because
duplicate values were getting inserted to the table in spite of the
regular unique index on the column. In our applications we always check
to make sure  the existence of the value before we insert, in another
word we do not insert if the value exist there already.

 Do you know of any known issues where postgres throws duplicate key
violated error in a situation like mine where I have two indexes on the
same column. I know it does sound redundant, but I am skeptical about
changing this any other way since it is a production system. I did
rebuilt the regular index but we still kept on getting the same error,
so index corruption is  out of question.

We run  postgresql 8.2.5

Thanks.
Dinesh