Re: What`s wrong with JFS configuration?

От Luke Lonergan
Тема Re: What`s wrong with JFS configuration?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

The outer track / inner track performance ratio is more like 40 percent.  Recent example is 78MB/s outer and 44MB/s inner for the new Seagate 750MB drive (see http://www.storagereview.com for benchmark results)

- Luke

Msg is shrt cuz m on ma treo

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Jim Nasby [mailto:decibel@decibel.org]
Sent:   Thursday, April 26, 2007 03:53 AM Eastern Standard Time
To:     Pawel Gruszczynski
Cc:     pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject:        Re: [PERFORM] What`s wrong with JFS configuration?

On Apr 25, 2007, at 8:51 AM, Pawel Gruszczynski wrote:
> where u6 stores Fedora Core 6 operating system, and u0 stores 3
> partitions with ext2, ext3 and jfs filesystem.

Keep in mind that drives have a faster data transfer rate at the
outer-edge than they do at the inner edge, so if you've got all 3
filesystems sitting on that array at the same time it's not a fair
test. I heard numbers on the impact of this a *long* time ago and I
think it was in the 10% range, but I could be remembering wrong.

You'll need to drop each filesystem and create the next one to get a
fair comparison.
--
Jim Nasby                                            jim@nasby.net
EnterpriseDB      http://enterprisedb.com      512.569.9461 (cell)