Re: Sudenly unable to backup from database

От jackrg
Тема Re: Sudenly unable to backup from database
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
I understand what the —no-password switch does from a technical point of view, but I was not manipulating that file. Earlier in the day the same sequence in pgAdmin successfully backed up the database. Between those two invocations, I did nothing that should have affected the existence of a pgpass file. I did not create one when it worked; nor did I delete it before the invocation that did not work. My inference is that perhaps pgAdmin created it the first time but not the second time. If that is true, then my question would by why did it not create the file the second time.

On Jun 18, 2014, at 7:36 AM, Guillaume Lelarge-3 [via PostgreSQL] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, 2014-06-03 at 11:31 -0700, jackrg wrote:

> Using pgAdmin 1.14.1, earlier this morning I did a backup of a single table
> from my database in plain format, which completed successfully. I now try to
> repeat that operation and it fails. Here are the messages from the attempt:
>
> /Applications/pgAdmin3.app/Contents/SharedSupport/pg_dump --host
> ec2-54-197-246-17.compute-1.amazonaws.com --port 5562 --username
> "u6u1m6ai8tdviu" --no-password  --format tar --section data --no-privileges
> --verbose --file "/Users/jackrg/Documents/heroku-partial-for-just-logs.dump"
> --table "public.logs" "d4n5qjtiqnucn2"
> pg_dump: [archiver (db)] connection to database "d4n5qjtiqnucn2" failed:
> FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "u6u1m6ai8tdviu"
> FATAL:  no pg_hba.conf entry for host "72.219.168.82", user
> "u6u1m6ai8tdviu", database "d4n5qjtiqnucn2", SSL off
>
> Process returned exit code 1.
>
> The problem is (apparently) the "--no-password" command-line switch. Why is
> that switch there (the database is password-protected and the password is on
> file, since I can connect to the database). FWIW, this Postgres database is
> hosted on Heroku.

It's here because noone will be able to type the password. If the
connection needs a password, you need a .pgpass file.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info