Re: Nearing final release?

От Sean Chittenden
Тема Re: Nearing final release?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> It seems most logical to me to break the fundamental operations into:
> 1.  Prepare to create the compiled query plan
> 2.  Describe to bind the query input/output parameters
> 3.  Execute to produce a result set
>
> Or equivalent functionality.  Then, you can bind all three parts into
> one operation if you want to, or you can execute the tasks separately.
>
> The notion of a flag to tell whether to return a result set or not has
> smell of kludge to me.
>
> On the other hand, if getting something working in a hurry is the main
> purpose, then a flag might be the best way to go, and it could be more
> carefully refactored later.

FWIW, is libpq going to have its version bumped?  There's some interest
in having this done from the FreeBSD camp because it make detecting
installed verions of libpq much easier (7.4 client libs working with an
8.0 server?).  In FreeBSD the server is split from the client programs
and its libs.  I'm sure other packagers may wish to see this happen
too.  *shrug*  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden