RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Java client connection problem on FIPS enabled hosts (with password_encryption = scram-sha-256)

От McDermott, Becky
Тема RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Java client connection problem on FIPS enabled hosts (with password_encryption = scram-sha-256)
Дата
Ответы Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Java client connection problem on FIPS enabled hosts (with password_encryption = scram-sha-256)  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
> Is FIPS enabled on the host holding the PostgreSQL instance?  I am afraid that you may run to run into problems in
thiscase, in the shape of a crash in > > the backend.

FIPS is enabled on each of our Kubernetes cluster nodes.  We are running our application as Kubernetes deployments.  I
haveobserved the following:

1) The Postgres pod itself reaches a "Running" state
2) I have another pod in the same namespace with psql installed and I can exec into this pod and successfully connect
topostgres and run SQL select statements
3) All other application pods (java services) that connect to postgres do NOT reach a "Running" state and their logs
arefull of messages stating a connection cannot be established with a cause indicating " Unsupported PBKDF2 for
SCRAM-SHA-256"

I am not a Java developer so I'm not sure how the postgres encryption method (SCRAM_SHA-256) was setup other than what
Ican see in the files:
- postgresql.conf
- pg_hba.conf

Our developers are going to transition to working on this in a few weeks.  I don't know enough about password
encryptionbut it looks like we are using an unsupported algorithm on the java client side.

> Postgres 14 is able to work by going through the EVP layer for its
> SHA-2 computations, instead.

Should we be looking at upgrading Postgres to version 14?

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Java client connection problem on FIPS enabled hosts (with password_encryption = scram-sha-256)
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Java client connection problem on FIPS enabled hosts (with password_encryption = scram-sha-256)