shared_buffers and shmmax

От dx k9
Тема shared_buffers and shmmax
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,
I'm trying to understand what the documentation means by bytes per increment, what is the increment supposed to be bytes, MB, or Kb.  I have my shared_buffers set to 577 MB(4 instances) and I'm multiplying by 8400 bytes.  I would think I would want to keep everything in bytes and not mulitply bytes times MB, but this is what table 17-2 implies.  If I convert 577 to bytes and multiply, my calculator goes exponential on me. I'm going through this table and adding up to see what my shmmax should be (it's 7.5 GB) out of a total memory of 16 GB with 1000 max_connections right now.  What should I use as the "increment" value in regards to shared buffers, 577, 590848 or 605028352 ?

a) 577 MB (This seems too small)
b) 590,848 Kb (this seems just right)
c) 605,028,352 bytes  (this seems too big, I hope it's not c)

Thanks,
~DjK

Table 17-2. Configuration parameters affecting PostgreSQL's shared memory usage
NameApproximate multiplier (bytes per increment) as of 8.3
max_connections1800 + 270 * max_locks_per_transaction
autovacuum_max_workers1800 + 270 * max_locks_per_transaction
max_prepared_transactions770 + 270 * max_locks_per_transaction
shared_buffers8400 (assuming 8 kB BLCKSZ)
wal_buffers8200 (assuming 8 kB XLOG_BLCKSZ)
max_fsm_relations70
max_fsm_pages6
Fixed space requirements770 kB

Stay in touch when you're away with Windows Live Messenger. IM anytime you're online.