Re: Need some help in psql Configuration

От Julio Leyva
Тема Re: Need some help in psql Configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

Subject: [ADMIN] Need some help in psql Configuration
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:51:38 +0530
From: suresh.g@zensar.com
To: pjkoczan@gmail.com; pgsql-admin@postgresql.org

.ExternalClass .EC_shape {;} .ExternalClass EC_p.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_li.MsoNormal, .ExternalClass EC_div.MsoNormal {margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass EC_span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;} .ExternalClass p {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman';} .ExternalClass EC_span.EmailStyle18 {font-family:Arial;color:navy;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in;} .ExternalClass EC_div.Section1 {page:Section1;} .ExternalClass ol {margin-bottom:0in;} .ExternalClass ul {margin-bottom:0in;}

Hi Team,

I am using Postgresql 7.4 version. We are willing to update the version to the latest. Can you pls give some guidelines and provide the link to the software to download. Is it free downloadable or commercial, pls advice us.

Which OS are u using?  32 bits 64 bits? just in case you are using SUSE  this is the pagehttp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/postgresql/

Also to update 7.4 to 8.x , you need to do a pg_dump of your D.B using 7.4 , then restore it using 8.x....

Secondly, we found there is very less performance with the current version. So, we started to do “VACUUM VERBOSE ANALYZE” daily with the help of Cron jobs scheduler. We don’t find any effective performance increase in the Database. So, we concentrated on configuration file. In our configuration file “postgresql.conf” where found the following entries commented. And “max_connections = 100”, we found that at one particular peak period/timings of the day, the transactions are failing due to database updation. Can you pls suggest us to get rid of this problem.

The commented entries mean the default values that postgresql uses, you need to uncommented then just in case you need to change the values.

Commented values mean the default values that postgresql uses, you need to uncommented them just in case you need to change the values.

Also si your D.B mostly for Insert Updates? or just Selects...

check out these sites

http://edoceo.com/liber/db-postgresql-performance
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html
http://www.argudo.org/postgresql/soft-tuning.php
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4791

Our ideas on this :-

1)       Upgrade to latest version 8.0

2)       Increase the “Max_connections” value to 200.

3)       Change the configuration file by un-commenting the following parameters.

Please advice on this and correct me if I am wrong in the above approach.

# QUERY TUNING

# - Planner Method Enabling -
#enable_hashagg = true
#enable_hashjoin = true
#enable_indexscan = true
#enable_mergejoin = true
#enable_nestloop = true
#enable_seqscan = true
#enable_sort = true
#enable_tidscan = true

# - Planner Cost Constants -
#effective_cache_size = 1000    # typically 8KB each
#random_page_cost = 4           # units are one sequential page fetch cost
#cpu_tuple_cost = 0.01          # (same)
#cpu_index_tuple_cost = 0.001   # (same)
#cpu_operator_cost = 0.0025     # (same)

# - Genetic Query Optimizer -
#geqo = true
#geqo_threshold = 11
#geqo_effort = 1
#geqo_generations = 0
#geqo_pool_size = 0             # default based on tables in statement,
# range 128-1024
#geqo_selection_bias = 2.0      # range 1.5-2.0

# - Other Planner Options -
#default_statistics_target = 10 # range 1-1000
#from_collapse_limit = 8
#join_collapse_limit = 8        # 1 disables collapsing of explicit JOINs

Regards,

G. V. Suresh Gupta

Innovative Technology Solutions(ITS), Zensar Technologies

Zensar Knowledge Park, Plot#5, MIDC IT Tower,

Kharadi, Off Nagar Road, Pune – 411014

Landline :  +91-20-66453471           | +91-9890898688

Email     :   suresh.g@zensar.com    | website:  www.zensar.com

DISCLAIMER:
This email may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient(s) and the views expressed in the same are not necessarily the views of Zensar Technologies Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail by error, its use is strictly prohibited, please delete the e-mail and notify the sender. Zensar Technologies Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.
Вложения